Monday.com Review 2020 – Should You Try It?
If you’re researching a project management software, you’re likely trying to get organized and make your business processes more efficient. You are also looking to find something that’s user-friendly for the entire team, and your budget is always a consideration.
Essentially, you need a tool that will help your team work together to improve productivity. With better communication, you’ll see greater efficiency that also improves customer service.
There are many solutions on the market, and they vary in price, tools and features. Monday.com might be just the project management platform for your company. However, we do know that choosing software can be a daunting task and that every team is different. The solution you choose needs to offer the features and tools that will benefit the way your team works and improve their process. An investment in solutions will only reap excellent ROI when it’s something your company is wholly invested in using.
So you might be asking, What is Monday.com? To put it simply, it’s a cloud-based operating system for your business. It allows you to manage your teams and projects while simultaneously creating a more transparent workplace. They focus on changing the way teams work together and promote collaboration.
We use Monday.com for our day-to-day and long term projects, and we love it. For this review, we’re going to show you some insider reasons why this solution is a great fit for Toolsy.com. Your project management needs will definitely have different requirements than ours. With that in mind, we’ll give you some good alternatives that may be helpful to you and discuss some pros and cons with the Monday.com platform.
Things to Consider Before Buying Monday.com
If you’re looking for a project management solution, it’s likely that your team has experienced some issues in communication or productivity. The whole goal for a system like monday.com is to provide a platform where everyone on your staff can see their workflow and the project status in real-time.
If you want a solution that lets you prioritize and note which team member is responsible for each task in an easy to see format, monday.com fits the bill.
Monday.com offers an easy-to-use interface, so this can be a great option when your staff includes people of various technology levels. It’s easy to learn and use and very visual, which makes it more likely that staff members who are reticent to train on new software will adopt the process quickly and easily.
Training time and usability are important components. Software designed for more advanced users can take a great deal of time for some of your staff to learn which impedes productivity and it may also mean that your entire team won’t use all the tools to your advantage. A solution that’s too complicated to adopt or use can be difficult to implement with various levels of digital expertise, making the investment less worthwhile in terms of ROI.
However, if your staff is made up of team members that are well versed in a wide variety of applications, a simple, user-friendly design might not be an essential component. For those teams, it may be much more important to have advanced tools and features that this option may not have.
But don’t be too quick to move on from Monday.com at first glance. This system is powerful and highly customizable despite its simplistic, minimal and elegant UI/UX. Much like a high end luxury vehicle, you’ll discover exciting new features over time that will delight you and give you a real competitive edge.
You also need to consider how usable the platform is for your specific industry, various workflows and business-use scenarios. Monday.com does excel here. In fact, we believe it crushes the bones of its competitors.
The fact that you can design your own workflows that match your business needs in combination with all the thoughtful features the engineering team has created for you are a huge bonus. We think you’ll quickly see why we recommend monday.com here at Toolsy.com
This platform also offers integrations with many popular software platforms you may be using, making it highly extensible. Our favorite aspect of this rich integration ecosystem particularly centers around automation. By leveraging automation with Monday.com and its vast array of integration partners, many repetitive tasks are reduced to systems tasks that are carried out on the fly and in the background, saving your team lots of time.
Monday.com is an all-n-one platform where your team members can collaborate and organize tasks for current projects. There are a few ways that monday.com makes the workflow and task management easier for a team to manage.
Many people find the visual elements appealing because this platform allows you to see and track changes in a project in an easy to digest way. There are some who do say that it’s confusing at first, though all accounts list this platform as easy to learn and use, so training time is minimal.
You can use the templates to set workflows and make them unique to your preferences. You can also easily assign tasks and view the project in a timeline, so that you’re always aware of which task still needs to be completed and who’s responsible for each assignment.
All members can see the progress and collaborate with this platform.
PRO TIP: If you choose to adopt monday.com — be sure to schedule two entire days with your head of operations and have them really focus on how your account will be configured. If you do this, you’ll get through a quick learning curve and unleash the true power of Monday.com.
This platform does have a slight learning curve as the logic behind it is forward thinking and in many ways revolutionary. Our team at Toolsy.com has managed massive projects over the years. We’ve also used every type of project management software we could get our hands on. From Gantt charts to excel spreadsheets to Basecamp, TeamGantt, ASANA, Zoho, Smartsheet, Wrike and others — trust us… We’ve used them all.
Monday takes the cake. BUT — you really need to dedicate time to its configuration to truly crush your competitors with speed and efficiency.
John Quincy Adams said it best: “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”
Monday.com is an excellent solution if:
- Usability is a key need for your staff.
- The ability to customize workflows and your user experience is a primary goal.
- You want reporting and visual options that meet your preferences.
- You need a secure platform that conforms to regulatory compliance needs.
You might consider alternatives if:
- You have a smaller team. Monday.com’s plans start with 5 users, so it can be used for a smaller staff but there are also less expensive options available which might be preferable. If you’re just trying to track projects for a staff of one or two, for instance, you might be better served with a free option.
- You want to start with a free option. A great way to try out a new software is by starting with the basic plan where there’s a free option. Monday.com does not have a free option. You have to pay for even the most basic level and quite frankly, you should – it’s THAT good. But if you’re set on free, there are a few solutions that do offer free basic levels, such as Asana.
- You get what you pay for. Monday.com does offer excellent use for large teams but it is a slightly larger investment than other options on the market for enterprise clients. For instance, Basecamp is also well established but is less costly for the top tier service. Though Basecamp has a simpler, dated interface.
If cost is a rub for you, consider foregoing the value add that Monday.com brings.
Monday.com Features and Benefits
Monday.com offers a one place platform to collaborate on your projects. The great thing about it is that it’s easy to use, which means your team is more likely to take advantage of the tools available.
Here, we’d like to break down the exact features you can expect if you choose Monday.com to empower your team.
- Easy to Use Templates. Monday.com comes with easy to use templates to set your workflows. You can also customize workflows so that your team isn’t missing anything that’s unique to your business or industry.
- Visual Display. One of the things that monday.com is known for is the vastly usable visual display. You can change the views for reporting options and choose from different images to help your team see necessary information at a glance. The visual aspect of monday.com helps keep teams motivated and makes the platform infinitely friendly for use.
- Reporting Options. Monday.com features robust reporting options to help you stay on top of your benchmarks. You’ll be able to see long term progress for the entire team, and pinpoint exact users and specific projects. Whatever aspect you need in depth information on can be accessed through the reporting features.
- Assign Tasks. Tasks can be assigned to individual team members and those team members can be notified on platform, as well as through email and mobile alerts. This allows you a better way to delegate tasks and see at a view, which team member is working on which part of the project, as well as deliverable dates and milestones.
- Prioritize Tasks. Tasks can be easily prioritized by level of urgency and tasks can be easily moved if something changes. Say a project deadline is moved up at the last minute, tasks related to these deliverables can be moved to high priority easily and all parties can be notified. This is also a great feature to help team members collaborate with each other — no guessing on which team member has the information they need.
- Email and Messaging. Monday.com allows you to communicate right on the platform or you can go off platform to email different team members. You can also set your preferences, so team members who are more apt to check email notifications can stay in the loop that way, while others who prefer on platform messaging can work according to their own preferences.
- Versatility in View. You can see an overall view of your project or your week from one platform. This helps you stay on track with your personal tasks, as well as keeping an eye on the whole project and upcoming tasks to expect when planning your week.
- Calendar and Scheduling. Monday.com gives you calendar and scheduling capabilities. You should know that the basic plan only includes a week-long activity log. All the other plans have unlimited activity logs so that you can easily see activity from the beginning all the way through. We especially love this feature here at Toolsy.com
- Mobile App and Desktop. Monday.com is available in a mobile app for ios and Android. This is a great advantage for many teams whose members log in from the field or even during down hours. It also allows you to check your app if you happen to be away from your desk in another part of the office.
- Guides and Training. Monday.com offers a full range of guides, tutorials, and articles so that staff can easily find resources to help them better use the system, work with integrations, and find new hacks or tricks to their workload.
- Shareable Boards. Shareable boards are an excellent feature. You can make projects public or private and you can share boards with people outside your team. This is a great option for companies that use freelance or contract support on various projects. You can only share boards with guests on standard plans and above. The basic plan does not allow this option.
There are some things that you should be aware of with monday.com. For instance, the basic plan only comes with 5GB of file storage. The top tier plans have unlimited storage, so your choice in plans may depend on the amount of documentation and workload used. You also need to know that the activity log for the basic plan is very limited.
Many of the advanced features are not available on the basic plan, such as timeline view and workflow customization. The security features which make monday.com very exceptional are only available for the enterprise level, though two person authentication is available for all users, and we highly recommend it if your team is transmitting sensitive client or internal information. Monday.com’s 9 top tier compliance certifications (including HIPAA) should give you peace of mind. (see here: https://monday.com/terms/all)
But don’t just take our word for it. See the social proof:
Mitty, the CEO of an Advertising agency indicated that she used a plethora of different project management software and liked monday.com because it offered really gorgeous design at a good price which made it a great fit for a new agency. The thing she didn’t like about it was that it didn’t have some of the more advanced features she would have liked, such as more room to leave detailed notes on tasks and the ability to add subtasks.
Ralph V, the Director of Multimedia for an Engineering firm indicated that monday.com was excellent for a large and varied staff. He did indicate that he would like if it had a repeating task function.
NOTE: If you are interested in learning more about Monday.com automation workflows and how we use them here at Toolsy.com – be sure to drop us a line and we’ll share more detail with you.
If we enough requests from our audience, we will likely produce a Monday.com automation series along with videos showing just how powerful this platform really is.
Monday.com is one of many options on the market for small businesses all the way up to enterprise level companies. While it does have many advantages, each system is different and offers their own specific features and perks. Another system might be a better option for your team.
Here we’ll include a few of the alternatives that are also highly rated.
• Trello. Trello is one of the more popular options and it is similar to monday.com. In Trello, you can assign tasks, or cards, right from the interface. Trello is also easily integrated with your other programs and users do say that it’s convenient to use. It doesn’t have some of the visuals that monday.com has or all of the features but Trello is available for free at its most basic level. So you can try out the system before committing. With the higher paying levels you do get more enhanced features.
• Asana. Asana is also a highly rated project management system. It has a 30-day free trial period so you can test it out before committing and it does have a free basic level of service. It integrates well and is used by many firms, though it does not offer the same fun design or user-friendly appeal.
• Basecamp. This solution is one of the oldest and most trusted in the industry. The downside with Basecamp is that it does have outdated features and isn’t built to be as user-friendly as monday.com. It also does not have any free use levels. Where Basecamp does excel is in its pricing at the higher tiers. It doesn’t offer all the visual functions and ease of use but it is more price friendly to larger enterprises. And we do love Jason Fried — so big shout out to him. He’s a true pioneer of the internet and major contributor to the Ruby on Rails universe.
Is Monday.com Right for You?
This is going to come down to a personal choice. If you need a solution that offers great visuals and is easy to use for most people, monday.com is a great tool. The pricing is higher than some other options, so if that’s a consideration you should research fully and make sure that your team is committed to use and fully leverage it. You also need to be aware that some features are only available at the higher levels.
Monday.com offers a fun interface to use with visuals that help your team keep their projects moving at a productive pace. It works well to keep staff members connected seamlessly, so that they can continue working through their tasks while collaborating with other team members.
If you’re interested in learning more about monday.com to see if it might be a fit for your business, click here. And most importantly – give it the time it deserves to fully learn its capabilities. You won’t be disappointed.